Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wisdom Teeth Removal for Dummies:A Guide to the ins and outs of getting your wisdom teeth removed

1o Tips to help you survive during and after surgery

Tip 1: Get knocked out when you have those most inconvenient teeth removed.
This one is a no brainer. Who wants to be awake when various implements of mouth torture are busy cutting through bone, gum, tissue, and nerves? Not me!

Tip 2: Take lots of painkillers for the first 3 days after removal.
I recommend Loratab. I took one of these nice pills every 6 hours, with a 800 mg Ibuprofen in between doses. I can honestly say that I did not feel anything.

Tip 3: Have a wonderful caretaker lined up to help you out for at least the first 2 days.
Sisters are the best option, followed by mothers. If you don't have either, settle for a significant other.

Tip 4: For at least 1 week after surgery refrain from exercising, smoking, using straws, drinking alcohol, eating grainy food, eating hard food, eating food that comes in small pieces, eating anything too hot, or too spicy, or too acidic, opening your mouth too wide, yawning, etc.
I would give you the complete list but then you might just decide to overdose on the provided prescriptions.

Tip 5: Ice your face for the first 2 days after surgery. Place heat on your face for at least a few days after that.
I am not a doctor or a oral surgeon, and so do not understand the science behind the cold vs. heat dilemma. What I do know is that if you only use the cold method, your chances of getting dry socket are increased dramatically. Believe me. I know.

Tip 6: If you do develop dry socket, give yourself at least 1 extra week of refraining from all the above things.
Do not break this rule. See below for consequences.

Tip 7: Do not push yourself too early on getting back on your feet. Chances are that by trying to speed up recovery you will actually be slowing it down.
Exercising too early is a big no-no. When you start to taste blood in your mouth within the first 15 minutes of cardio and your wounds feel like it has a pulse of its own, STOP exercising! Dislodging a blood clot for the sake of burning a few hundred calories is not worth it.

Tip 8: Give yourself 3-5 days of intense recovery time.
This means no work, school, etc for at least 3 days. Take some days off. And enjoy them.

Tip 9: Have appropriate drinks and food on hand and prepared before the surgery.
I recommend smoothies, pudding, applesauce, broth, ice cream, and mashed potatoes. They were all I ate for 4 days.

Tip 10: Have entertainment options on hand to subdue the boredom.
This can be anything-movies, TV shows, sympathetic friends, friends who want to see you stoned out of your mind, whatever! Bottom line: when you are on Loratab you will not care the quality or in what form the entertainment comes in. You'll most likely fall asleep within the first 15 minutes of any of the above options anyway.

For more tips, feel free to send questions directly to my blog comment box. Thank you.

1 comment:

chicago invisalign said...

The people that worked there were so funny. I kept hearing my CNA randomly break out into song in the halls. Sometimes he would randomly sing while he was helping change my gauze. They were apparently stoked when Hal asked if he could go in my room and surprise me that like 5 guys walked him the 10 feet from the nurses station to my room.