Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On Being Interviewed

I had a job interview yesterday that was quite stressful. It was at a publishing company based out of Singapore that specializes in business deals, magazines, articles, etc. It actually is a pretty eclectic company...among their clients are a Lebanese restaurant, a children's book company, a local mosque, a temple in Thailand, etc.
But anyway, back to the stress. The woman called me the day before the actual interview, and told me she wanted to see my portfolio. The problem was I didn't have one and didn't even know how to begin. An hour after I recieved the call, I had already bought paper and a green plastic case/portfolio cover. I decided on the green one because I thought it looked like it belonged to someone who was creative but not overly creative. (like Van Gogh with the whole ear thing or Woolf and her little trip to the local river creative)
After I bought the supplies I figured I'd done enough for the night (work and productivity are not my strongest character traits) and decided to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer instead of work on my portfolio.
The next morning I woke up quite early because my ac unit kept shutting on and off and beeping incessantly at me. When I was coherent enough, I realized that the power was what was really making everything else shut on and off. I ended up putting my portfolio together amidst ac guys everywhere, constant power loss, and the increasing panic I was feeling about my first ever real job interview.
I did get everything together in time. When I actually made it in the doors of the company, their policy of no shoes in the office (all the shoes were lined up neatly in the front) and my interviewer's sweet, brace covered smile made me feel relaxed and more in my element.
I believe the interview went well, although I often hate the person I become when I'm being interviewed. I smile too much, look too eager, desperate or both, and always answer questions quickly and remotely. I talk about myself without revealing myself, and often forget the question that was asked in the middle of answering it.
Regardless, I did get through both it and the evil written portion of the interview 'test', which made me feel like a unprepared student again. The questions I had to answer were absolutely horrible, including: "Describe a day in your life" and "explain why freedom requires responsibility." Yeah, I didn't have much to work with.
The moral of the interview- never use college essay prompts when attempting to hire a good writer.

No comments: