Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Farewell

It is with mixed feelings that I prepare to leave for Thailand today, traveling, as I am, not as a tourist but as a humanitarian worker. I feel overwhelmed and inadequate, excited and anxious. I don't know what to expect, so I have trained myself to not have expectations of how it will be, or how much I can (or cannot) accomplish. Most people seek to make a difference, and I admit, I too fall into this group. Which is why I am trying not to daydream about the possibilities, about me, an individual, being able to make "substantive change" for the multitude. It is a dream I came to HELP International with, and one I still believe in. But I also believe that everything I will do will be hard, dirty, and will, I am sure, be full of setbacks, conflict and difficulty.

I know I and we (my team and I) can do it, and that we can succeed. Please pray for me. Please think of me, once in awhile. And please do not forget the seriousness of the cause. Do not forget the dream of a world without poverty. Do not forget the dream of ridding the world of human trafficking. I cannot do it. But we can.

Signing off until Thailand, Krystal

2 comments:

anelieze castrejon said...

all my love to you, krystal! you're a hardworking, compassionate person who will change the lives of so many people! be safe, and remember we're thinking about you!

-Anelieze

jamie lynne said...

so excited to see you tonight! we will have the longest wednesday of our lifeeeeee.