Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll get what you need"

I was reminiscing today by going through old blog posts, most of which were written during my brief hiatus in Singapore between graduation and my move back to Utah. The irony: in one post (dated July 31,2008) I list 3 simple things I want out of life...
to be independent
make money
live somewhere other than Utah

Well I guess I fulfilled two out of the three. I was just thinking about how life NEVER turns out how you imagine it to. I never would have thought I would be back in Provo, Utah after I graduated. I was ready to get the heck out of the entire state. But while I was in the exotic, ultra cool country of Singapore, I realized a few good things about the state:

1. The majority of my family lives here. I have my little sister Mary, all 3 sets of grandparents, and a ton of cousins, aunts and uncles. All of whom I love immensely.
2. Geography doesn't matter as much as one would think.
3. People NOT place will equal or subtract to one's happiness.
4. I have great friends who live here. Need I say more?

I also realized (after I was freaking out about the future for almost 6 months) that I have a lot of time to burn. There is no reason why I have to rush into anything, be it graduate school, law school, my dream career, or marriage. Life, we hope, will be long and eventful. It will be crooked, and crazy, and surprising. It will bring us to places we never thought we would go to. But, at least from my experience so far, it will always work itself out. Your life is NOT over if you do not find out or get exactly what you want right away. Where's the fun in that? Life would lose its mystery if we could imagine into life every single desire and dream. Just a thought. Going out to those who are (and might soon be) in the transitional, decision-making periods of life.

No comments: